Some how I managed to land in New York at 1 am, have the Cab driver work out I am an Australian and so I clearly, needed to see Heath Ledger’s location when he died, it was only the next block up from my hotel. End up on a train to Coney Island; buy a new (cheap) (left the camera at home) digital Camera, pick up breakfast and be in the office by 9.30 am.
Friday night we went out to a trendy bar in the China town area of Manhattan. While I have the wearing all black down pat, I am a long way off the size Zero Manhattan Women.
All my sex in the city has also paid off; I still know where all the funky places in Manhattan are to live eat and go out.
I was surprised by the swearing, I had been lead to believe that the US is very PC, but no….
I am going to go out on a limb and say UK, then US and then Aus in order of least conservative. For dressing and swearing in the office.
While this next part is very politically incorrect, I learn that American Black women never wash their hair. Every week they have it professionally straighten. or A number of them just shave all their hair off and wear a wig.
When it came up why they don’t just wear it naturally, the response was that one of the top constantly companies has a rule against it……
I had never thought about it, till this conversation, I just assumed they where all great at blow drying their hair straight.
On the plane I needed to get a landing form to fill in and the hostess did n’t give me one, so I asked again her response was but you’re not American, Correct, I am Australian, was my response????
The shopping surprised me, last time I had never been to the UK or Europe, but now every where has H&M, Miju, Gap, Esprit, Zara, Abercrombie and Finch.
So while Lush and Start bucks have made it to down under, I wonder how long before you get the exact same shops everywhere in the world, guess that’s why Japan and Amsterdam are so great! (though even Star Bucks has made it to Japan)
While I did n’t make it to shoe mania, I did make it to 34th and 6th.. I love to also walk down 8th West, I love the shoes.
The do something you have never done before is (1) walked down Canel st and (2) Went to Duffies. (not so great)
Still a big fan of Forever 21
Manhattan is still fabulously, but shopping in Manhattan, even when you are poor, on the pound is the only way to go.(not to say Rich is n’t going to take the Amex off me when he sees the bill)
One of the girls from the New York office is going to Oz for a month in April, so I got to educate her about how Entree in Australia is a US Appetiser.
The service even though everyone seemed to complain, was a 1000 times better than in the UK.
Somehow when you travel, while you’re becoming less Australian, e.g. losing the accent, having English Mannerisms, drinking tea. You are never so glad or so proud to be an Aussie : )
Guessing I should mention Miami, well the 27 degrees was great, the humidity not so much and the salted Taffy is in the suitcase.
Sunday, February 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment