Monday, May 14, 2007

Japan


How do you explain that you're late to a meeting because you got stuck in a cake shop and couldn't get out?

When my boss asked me if I wanted to go to Canada, I was really excited……

But the one think in life you can be sure of is change, and instead I am looking out of our Tokyo office windows.

I am pretty surprised that I have only been getting lost in the last 24 hours and have survived this long and compared to getting lost in London, this has been a piece of cake.

On the first day I cheated and got taxis everywhere….

How to catch a train to work, try and use Ticket machine, hit English button, give up, walk to ticket booth, line up, explain that you want a ticket to Ogikubo station, get blank look, (wonder why today is the day you leave the phrase book in the hotel) hold up Map of Work, with closest station, point, guy says back at you 160. Walk back to ticket machine, push English button, hit 160 button, put in 160 yen.

Have ticket Yay!

Walk to ticket gates; find Man, try to explain, give up, show ticket and Map of Office and point, he picks up calculator and types in 12, walk to platform number 12, get on train, get to work in 12 Min's, Wonder why you live in London?

When even though you don't speak a word of Japaneses it takes you half as long to do everything as in London. (sorry Londoners)

I have managed to work the toilet in the office with the waterfall sounds, but the one in the Hotel, next time : )(I think it has a sound machine, seat warmer and auto wash, but I can only work the sound machine part)

Hence with all this Technology, you can kind of understand how I walked past a very yummy looking cake shop, it let me in, a lady came down and I bought a little yummy chocolate cake and then , there was this special sensor section on the wall that you had to wave at to open the door but I have no Japanese and the lady had no English and hence I got stuck.

Eventually after trying to touch and wave at everything in the shop, I managed to get out, I was thinking the lady was going to have to go out the back door and then come around the to the shop front door and let me out that way.

I do love the crazy city feeling like New York that Tokyo has, it has very small streets with very bright signs and everything in characters that i have no idea, what they say.
Last night we went out to Asakusa to a restaurant, owned by a famous Sumo wrestler Where we had a traditional sumo wrestler meal, just about everything you can think off in it and I am sure very high fat.

http://www.att-japan.net/modules/tinyd0/rewrite/tc_44.html

Hope everyone is well.

No comments: